Measure A Rallies Take Place In Fresno

FRESNO, CA (KMJ) – Rallies both for and against Measure A take place Thursday in Fresno.

On election day, Fresno voters will decide whether or not Cannabis businesses in Fresno should be taxed.

If Measure A passes, marijuana businesses can be taxed at rates of up to $12 per canopy square foot and up to 10 percent of gross receipts for medical dispensaries and other marijuana businesses.

Measure A has the backing of four Fresno City Councilmembers Clint Olivier, Esmeralda Soria, Paul Caprioglio, Oliver Baines, Fresno’s Mayor Lee Brand along with conservative leader Tal Cloud from The Lincoln Club and Fresno Chamber of Commerce officials, all voicing their support Thursday at the rally held at the Fresno Chamber of Commerce.


Je Pahl White, CEO of Green Pastures Premium Cannabis, and a Cannabis patient.


Dozens of medical Cannabis Patients, Cannabis business owners, and other advocates including veterans came to show support for Measure A.

Je Paul White (above) said he needs Cannabis as a dialysis patient, and he prefers it over the opioids his doctors would prescribe.


Cannabis patient Susan Juvet.


Councilmember Clint Olivier said they would not make the mistake of other cities and tax it too high, he estimates revenue from the cannabis business license tax would eventually be about 10 million dollars a year.

Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer and Fire Chief Kerri Donis have also signed on as supporters of Measure A, saying revenue will benefit public safety.

10 percent of the revenue would go toward the city’s community benefit fund, said Councilmember Olivier, while the other 90 percent would be dedicated to the city’s general fund.


Meanwhile, another rally took place Thursday at the Ramada Inn on Shaw in Fresno by the Vote No on Measure A campaign.

Organizers say they are determined to stop “the Big Corporate Marijuana industry in the City of Fresno.”

They sent a press release describing their stance on Measure A:

Measure A is a deceptive and dangerous initiative. Not everything is for sale! Our children deserve a culture that is not substandard because of the consequences this industry will bring. Not everything should be determined by a profit margin. Some Fresno City leaders are not telling you the truth, Measure A is NOT intended to help those with severe medical problems. Instead, Measure A is a toxic attempt to use medical marijuana as a backdoor to the massive mar recreational marijuana. Do not ignore the facts! Other community studies (i.e., Colorado and Washington State), prove this will primarily impact our youth and increase delinquency. Studies also indicate an increased culture of homelessness. These are but a few realistic consequences.

Vote No On Measure A is supported by Councilmembers Garry Bredefeld and Steve Brandau, Fresno/Clovis Pastor Clusters, Fresno County Republican Party, Fresno County and City Republican Women Federated, and many others that care about Fresno’s future.


Click to listen to the report by KMJ’S Liz Kern, who covered one rally: