In a scathing bit of mockery, former President Donald Trump issued a statement Friday night asking if Special Counsel John Durham is still alive, as the prosecutor’s probe into the origins of the Russia collusion probe drags on.
Durham has been looking at the FBI’s Crossfire Hurricane, the bureau’s inquiry into the Trump 2016 presidential campaign’s alleged links to Russia, for about two years. Trump Attorney General Bill Barr designated him “special counsel” last October.
For the former president, who has long derided the FBI probe as a hoax and witch hunt, patience appears to be wearing thin, even though he’s been out of office since late January.
“Where’s Durham? Is he a living, breathing human being? Will there ever be a Durham report?” Trump said in a statement, according to Fox News.
Trump, still looking for vindication, has repeatedly accused the FBI of improper conduct in his probe and overreliance on an unverified and at times salacious dossier of information compiled by onetime British intel agent Christopher Steele. Ultimately, insufficient evidence was found by that inquiry’s special counsel, Robert Mueller, to show collusion between Trump’s campaign operatives and Moscow.
Durham and other U.S. attorneys who served under Trump were asked to resign earlier this year by incoming President Joe Biden. But while Durham has given up his role as U.S. attorney for Connecticut, he kept his status as special counsel looking into the Russia inquiry. Biden himself has said he will not interfere with any Justice Department investigations.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.