Tulare Standoff Suspect Identified


Photo: Kings County Sheriff’s Department


A man is now in custody after leading law enforcement on an hours-long chase on Monday that ended along Highway 43 in Corcoran.


Photo: Kings County Sheriff’s Department


It all started just after 1:00 p.m. Monday in the area of Road 64 and Avenue 308 in Tulare County.

Photo: Kings County Sheriff’s Department

When the deputy tried to get the man out of the car, TCSO says he refused.

TCSO says the deputy called for backup and when the other deputy arrived, the man fled the scene.

Deputies didn’t chase him, but a CHP helicopter did.

The H40 helicopter followed the man until he pulled into a parking lot in Hanford.

That’s when TCSO deputies attempted to make contact with the man once again.

Photo: Kings County Sheriff’s Department


During the second confrontation, deputies had their guns drawn but the driver refused to get out of the car, then backed into a TCSO vehicle.

Another deputy pulled his car forward, attempting to box him in.

A few moments later, another deputy appeared to break the driver side window and open the door. But seconds later, the driver took off leading deputies and Hanford Police Officers on another chase.

At that point, the Kings County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO) took over for the TCSO.

“It was kind of wild, it was all over the place,” said Sergeant Nate Ferrier with the KCSO, “He ran numerous stop signs, drove in the wrong lane of traffic, and ultimately we were successful in spike stripping the vehicle and eventually getting him to stop.”

During the chase, both CHP and KCSO each used a spike strip to slow him down, which popped all four tires.

According to KCSO, all four tires had been deflated and the man was driving on rims and traveling relatively slow.

KCSO says the man eventually veered off Highway 43 between Whitley and Orange, ending in a standoff that lasted about an hour and a half.

KCSO shut down Highway 43 between Whitley and Orange for more than two hours. Kings County Regional SWAT team and armored response arrived to assist with the standoff.

“He’s been moving around the car but we have not had any response from him as far as communication goes,” said Sgt. Ferrier during the standoff.

According to KCSO, the standoff ended shortly before 6:00 p.m. with the man getting out of his car and trying to run away.

Law enforcement let a K-9 officer loose on him and then made the arrest.

Photo: Kings County Sheriff’s Department


Kings County SWAT deployed chemical agents which caused Hernandez to exit the vehicle but when he refused to give up and tired to run to an open field, Kings County K-9 Officer Blutz was deployed to apprehend him.

According to KCSO, the man was taken to a nearby hospital to be treated for a dog bite.

The sheriff’s office says no weapons were found in the car and no shots were fired during the pursuit.

Tulare County Sheriff’s Deputies booked Adan Hernandez on charges including assault with a deadly weapon, evading a peace officer with disregard for public safety, fleeing while driving the wrong way, felony resisting arrest, willfully attempting to harm a dog, possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia.

His bail was set at $155,000.00.